Sunday, July 08, 2007

To Croc or Not To Croc?


Crocs Display 02, originally uploaded by Theresa Di Moan.

Clearly, the only reason for the extreme popularity of Crocs is their shameless, nonchalant ugliness. They just hang on the legs sort of like an oversized version of this:


We *heart* MJs, originally uploaded by velusariot.

Looks cute on a doll, looks hideous on full-sized people.

To their defense - they are often recommended for being both super comfortable and practical. I can't comment on the second pro, because I haven't yet found a pair that quite fit my feet: they were either sloppily loose or overly tight.

So, to Croc or not to Croc was easy for me to figure out until this summer:

This summer, Crocs seem to try to make amends to their explicit uglicity. Two new models came out which are significantly different than the original design, the Mary Janes and the ballerina flats. And I have to say: the Mary Janes are considerable in my opinion. They are a much more graceful rendition of the original Crocs. So much more graceful that they actually look proportional to my feet (well, sort of in the way that Birkenstock or Teva shoes do... But with brightful colours) I can now seriously think about the practical benefits of Crocs without shuddering with horror of the thought of placing them on my snobby feet.

The only thing in question is the colour (not too many colours are available in that covetable Mary Jane design), and perhaps you could help me decide between the metallic silver or the pistachio green:


Crocs Pisttachio Green 02, originally uploaded by Theresa Di Moan.


Crocs Silver, originally uploaded by Theresa Di Moan.

The ballerinas are not quite to my taste. I feel they're overly done. It's ok to have OK looking Crocs, but ballerina slip-ons are a bit much: this time they look like enlarged Barbie slippers...


Crocs Ballerine Lavender, originally uploaded by Theresa Di Moan.

What do you think about Crocs? Yay, nay or yuck?
Are there any of the new models that appeal to you? Favourite colours? And do you like the decorating buttons?

P.s. forgive the dreadful sight of the stripes on my feet - these are just marks from the elastic straps of the ballerina flats I was wearing for this window-shopping expedition...

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home